Burley's Community Managed Library
The library welcomed back customers for browsing and essential computer use on Monday 26 April. Additionally, order and collect and local home delivery will continue for the foreseeable future. Numbers are limited so we may ask you to wait or cut short your visit. We suggest time limits of 20 minutes for browsing and 45 minutes for computer use but you are welcome to stay longer if we are quiet. Computers must be booked in advance. Please leave your returned books in the boxes in the foyer as they still need to be quarantined for 72 hours.
We are still offering an order and collect and also a home delivery service. We have also introduced a staff operated photocopying service. Copies can be paid for on a contactless cash donation basis. The book sale returned from 12 April 2021 - also on a donation basis.
Face coverings must be worn by all persons over the age of 11 unless medically exempt. This applies to both the main library building and the foyer. Please do not come to the library if you are showing any symptoms of Coronavirus including a persistent cough, fever or change/loss of smell/taste. All browsers and computer users must either scan the Track and Trace QR code if they have the app, or complete a paper slip.
You can order online, by email, by post or by telephoning the library. Also, many other services including storytime continue virtually. Go to Burley Library for more information.
Following Bradford Council's decision to reduce their expenditure across their library network the Parish Council agreed to take over the running of the library service from April 2017. Although Bradford will not pay staffing costs, subject to review, they have offered to provide:
- The lease of the building
- The transfer of the existing stock of books and computers
- New books on a regular basis
- Payment of energy/business rates/etc.
- Access to a repairs and improvement fund for the building, although no firm commitment was given on the size of the fund or likelihood of obtaining grants.
- Training for volunteers
The Parish Council has been fortunate to secure the services of over 60 volunteers to help run library services and activities. In addition, the Parish Council have appointed a Senior Libary Assistant to oversee existing book lending ad help develop a range of new activities.
Should anyone have any comments about existing services or ideas for new services, please contact the Parish Clerk
Burley Library has recently undergone a schedule of internal and external works to improve facilities and preserve the library as a community asset. Funded by the Parish Council with grants for new furniture and shelving from village partners, the library is now a fresh, modern and inviting space that can also be hired outside of opening hours.
Library contact details
Address: Burley Library, Grange Road, Burley-in-Wharfedale, Ilkley, LS29 7HD
Phone: 01943 863714
Present Opening Times
Monday: 10am - 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
Tuesday: 2pm - 5pm
Thursday: 3pm - 6pm
Friday: 10am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm
Saturday: 10am - 1pm
- Disabled access and toilet facilities plus baby changing
- Large Print and Talking Books
- Children's activities on Tuesdays (term time only)
- Free wi-fi
- Free Internet access and word processing, with print capabilities from the library computers. Free access to Ancestry and Find My Past from within the library building.
- Colour and black and white photocopier A3/A4
- Fiction Reading Group for Adults - 3.30 pm four weekly on Friday
- Access to the Burley Local History Group/Archives by prior appointment